≡ Menu

Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop

I’m at the Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop in Oak Ridge for the next few days. As I’ve done at past conferences, I’ll need to spend my time taking the notes that will be turned into next week’s entries here. That means no further posts until Friday, though I’ll try to keep the comment moderation going, perhaps with a few delays. TVIW 2014 has lined up a good group of speakers including, besides MSFC’s Les Johnson himself (TVIW’s founder), exoplanet hunter Sara Seager, beamed sail specialist Jim Benford, the SETI League’s Paul Shuch and TZF founder Marc Millis, along with a healthy representation from Icarus Interstellar. I’m also looking forward to the workshop tracks and will be participating in one called “Language as Reality: A Near-Term Roadmap for Exploiting Opportunities and Natural Experiments Here on Terra Firma to Inform *C*ETI.” Expect a complete report when I get back.

tviw

Comments on this entry are closed.

• Alex Tolley November 10, 2014, 14:25

Paul,
    Can you ask Les Johnson to provide more details on his flexible solar power concept. He did a nice video with a mock up of the deployment, but there was no information on the specs or even broad info on the power/wt ratio of the array.

• Paul Gilster November 10, 2014, 20:46

Will do, Alex.

• Eric S. November 11, 2014, 23:07

Will proceedings be published somewhere?

• Paul Gilster November 12, 2014, 9:34

Eric, yes, the proceedings will be coming out in JBIS, though I don’t know the publication date.

• ljk November 12, 2014, 11:03

Paul, you are in at least one of the photographs on The SETI League Facebook page, FYI.

Looking forward to the details of this workshop!

• Paul Gilster November 12, 2014, 17:58

Thanks, Larry — Paul Shuch is pretty quick with the Facebook entries!

I’ll have details of the workshop next week as I go through my notes. Interesting post coming up for Friday, though not on TVIW.

• william November 13, 2014, 3:48

Paul, is there any live video streaming that we can watch?

• Paul Gilster November 13, 2014, 9:18

William, I don’t think there was any live streaming — at least I wasn’t aware of it — but the sessions were all recorded and I assume will be made available soon.

• ljk December 30, 2014, 16:11

6.0 Technological Capabilities and Interstellar Travel: Can an Individual Build a Starship One Day?

Published on Dec 20, 2014

Third Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop, Nov 10-11, 2014, Oak Ridge, TN, Andreas Hein, I4IS; Technische Universitaet Munchen