≡ Menu

A Holiday Thought Looking Ahead

I want to send along best wishes for the season to all of you. Centauri Dreams started as a book and became a study guide for me as I tried to keep up with ongoing developments in deep space research. But turning the site into a community, which I did in 2005 by adding comments, has been what really made it go, as I’ve continued to learn from the discussions between readers, finding new resources and different insights I would never have achieved on my own. So thank all of you for this continuing gift, and may this holiday season be the prelude to great discoveries ahead.

tzf_img_post
{ 46 comments… add one }
  • Harold Shaw December 25, 2020, 9:50

Thank you for hosting a place for us and Happy Holidays!

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:23

My pleasure, Harold. Will try to keep it going for a long time.

• Henry Cordova December 25, 2020, 11:00

As a relative newcomer to this community, I wish to add my best wishes for the holiday season and the new year to you and my fellow communards.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:22

Delighted you’re here, Henry. All best wishes for the season.

• Ron S. December 25, 2020, 11:22

Merry Xmas, Paul, and to everyone else. You put an astounding amount of effort into this blog, keeping it interesting and relevant, even the “bleeding edge” topics that inspire controversy. I’ve been participating for a long time and I hope to continue for as long as you keep it going.

It’s a bit unusual to be reading (and commenting) on this day but with the global situation as it is there’s nowhere to go during our local lock down. Well, that and an Arduino project I’ve been putting off for a while!

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:22

And a Merry Christmas to you as well, Ron. Can’t tell you how many insights I’ve pulled from your comments over the past decade.

• Michael December 25, 2020, 12:31

Merry Christmas to you Paul, fellow readers and your wonderful articles !

I think if I eat and drink any more I will form my own Event Horizon and disappear from sight !

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:21

Michael, at this time of year, we are all in danger of this…

• Alex Tolley December 25, 2020, 14:58

And thank you for a most excellent blog that informs and educates, and for the well-moderated comments of the community that adds to the whole.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:25

Your many contributions, Alex, have added so much to the discussions. Including the essay I’ll be publishing next week!

• John walker December 25, 2020, 15:35

As always this year’s posts have been thoughtful and informative. Looking forward to more from you and the community of reader contributors in 2021.

Happy Holidays and all the best to you, Paul and to all CD readers!

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:26

Thank you, John. Here’s hoping for a truly remarkable 2021.

• P December 25, 2020, 18:29

Paul, in the metastasizing, depressing, insane chaos that is the internet in general and social media in particular, your little island is one of the sanest, politest, most thought provoking (and well moderated, I’m sure these things are related!) places I’ve ever visited. long may you, and CD continue.

ps And lets all hope that James Webb FINALLY gets off the good earth this year
    P

• Harold Shaw December 26, 2020, 10:44

Every time someone mentions the Webb, the universe adds a day to the launch time. I think we all need to pretend it doesn’t exist or perform a ritual anytime we see the telescope mentioned.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:27

Wouldn’t it be something if we finally do get JWST out there, after all the excruciating delays? That alone would make 2021 a banner year.

• Edwin December 25, 2020, 23:28

Hi Paul and everyone

Enjoy the break, and hopefully a view of Jupiter and Saturn with the weather. Stay safe over the northern winter with covid concerns too.

Cheers Edwin

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:18

Jupiter and Saturn were gorgeous here, and I hope all of you got to see the conjunction. Hope you enjoy the holiday break as well, Edwin.

• Robin Datta December 26, 2020, 0:49

Best wishes to the leader and the contributors for the festive season and the times to follow.

And if alien intelligence is within detectability (megastructures, erc.) and/or communication, here’s to wishing that it comes to pass within the leader’s tenure 🍻.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:17

I’m for that, Robin. Would love to be around for the discovery.

• Infinite123Lifer December 26, 2020, 1:06

If I was only allowed to read one website for the rest of my Life and was asked to choose what it would be … Its entirely likely I would promptly blurt out “Centauri Dreams!” I have a feeling I might not even second guess myself. Captivating, thoughtful and relevant is how I would describe the atmosphere here … and no ads makes it a no brainer for me.

I don’t comment often, in fact I should think of changing my name to Infinite123Lurker, lol … in any event Happy Holidays to Paul, to the chat and to the other lurkers as well and I look forward with you all to 2021.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:17

Great having you here, Infinite123Lifer! Thanks for your kind comment, and happy holidays!

• Steven Ward December 26, 2020, 2:39

Thank you Paul for creating an environment that atracts and brings like minded people together to discuss these wonderful deep space topics. I for one have learned so much from your blog.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:16

Many thanks, Steven. All best wishes to you and yours as well.

• Ronald December 26, 2020, 11:29

I could not agree more with P.
    This website is a candle in the darkness (to quote one of my heroes, Carl Sagan), and among my (very few) favorites, a pied-Ă -terre (funny term for such a site) for me through the years.
    With regard to the internet in general, it is ironic that what was meant to be the ultimate form of communication, all-to-all and free, is, precisely as a result of that, rapidly becoming super-obese with garbage, fakenews, deepfakes, conspiracy theories, etc. etc.
    Rather telling about our species, I fear…
    To you Paul, in particular, and to all readers and contributors here: happy holidays and above all stay healthy.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:15

All good wishes to you as well, Ronald. One of my earliest readers! What a pleasure it has been to work with you over the years.

• wdk December 26, 2020, 14:37

As many others, I want to thank the moderator for this site and for the participants who have helped cooked the dinner and set the table.

This is a place that’s been a clearing place for “interstellar news” for over a decade, whether it is means for crossing or the domain which someone someday just might see. At any rate our view is getting more clear and ever more provocative. Beside being informed or connected to the latest incoming reports or results, we have had an opportunity to review and examine for ourselves. Whether the discussion has been rigorous or whimsical I have enjoyed it immensely – as with whether the topic was technical or literary ( or the media if we need a broader term).

Either transit to a star or launch might be a millenium away, but I hope the expedition takes along some record of Centauri-dreams.org. And for the shorter term, after the corona virus winds down, I hope there will be a local “interstellar” meeting where we can get together and raise a toast to Paul Gilster. May we prepare a tonic derived from an
    interstellar cloud.

• Paul Gilster December 26, 2020, 17:13

Count on it, Wes. I’ll raise a glass with you guys any time!

• Michael Fidler December 26, 2020, 20:14

Thank you for a pleasant year of new and exciting dreams, it is so nice to learn and discuss the fascinating prospects of our future explorations and new discoveries. I remember reading Sky & Telescope in sixties, waiting each month for news about our discoveries in the universe and explorations in space, now we have hourly updates, it is really finally becoming the space age! Thanks again and hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• Paul Gilster December 27, 2020, 10:57

Imagine the pace of astronomy news back in the 60s, as you recall here, Michael, and then contrast with today. So many times I have logged in in the morning only to find my publishing plans for the day sabotaged by yet another breaking story of considerable interest. Amazing times.

• jonW December 26, 2020, 23:12

Agreed with the above posters that this wonderful site is what the internet should be like all over (and it’s a tragedy to see what it is instead). Paul, I’m grateful there’s one guy out there who a) cares about all these questions so much, b) is smart enough and well-informed enough to find the good stuff and run the show, and c) is productive enough to put in all the hard work to maintain the site and keep articles appearing at a steady rate. And all without ever feeling the need to pad the “content” with second-rate stuff just to keep the clicks coming. This site helps me stay informed about research, but better yet, it keeps me dreaming. Happy holidays Paul, I wish you the good fortune you deserve, and thank you enormously!

• Paul Gilster December 27, 2020, 10:56

jonW, you’ve given my enthusiasm a nice boost. Very kind of you, and all best for the New Year.

• Andrei December 27, 2020, 1:28

Happy new year to everyone.
    Let us continue to comment, discuss, disagree and provide relevant links to each other also the coming year and more!

• Anton Palyanov December 27, 2020, 3:16

Thank you Paul for everything you doing. Wish you and your family happy holidays and all the best in new year!

• Paul Gilster December 27, 2020, 10:54

And thank you, Anton, for being a member of the community. A pleasure to have you here.

• Etienne December 27, 2020, 10:51

Thank you Paul, longue vie à Centauri Dreams, et à son infatigable et passionné fondateur !

• Paul Gilster December 27, 2020, 10:53

Merci, Etienne. Il est toujours bon de vous voir ici.

• Kerrin Gautrey December 27, 2020, 11:26

Thank you Paul for all that you do. Best wishes for the New Year, here’s hoping that it is a better one than 2020.

• Paul Gilster December 27, 2020, 21:21

It’s almost bound to be a better year, I think. Let’s hope so! Thanks, Kerrin.

• xcalibur December 30, 2020, 5:52

Thanks for this blog. To echo the sentiments of others, this is an imaginative, scholarly, and civil corner of the Internet. For years now, I’ve been stopping by to keep up with science, and to contribute my thoughts here and there. I’m also impressed with your consistency and work ethic, especially since you’re quite a bit older than myself. Long live Centauri Dreams, and season’s greetings to all.

• Paul Gilster December 30, 2020, 7:43

Season’s best to you as well, xcalibur! I’ve appreciated your comments over the years and appreciate your being here.

• Carson December 30, 2020, 16:14

Happy Holidays and thanks for this amazing site/blog.

• Paul Gilster December 30, 2020, 16:50

Good to hear from you, Carson. All best wishes!

• Michael T December 31, 2020, 8:16

To Paul and everybody,

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Like many others, to me this blog is an oasis when the planet in general and internet is suffering pandemics of disease and nonsense. Something to look forward and outward to when things get frustrating.

Thanks to you and the contributors for the great work!

Michael

• Paul Gilster December 31, 2020, 11:12

Very kind of you, Michael. All best for the New Year.

• Bob Andrews January 1, 2021, 7:56

Best wishes Paul for 2021 and thank you for the posts, articles and insights on your outstanding and inspiring site from this side of the ‘pond’.

• Paul Gilster January 1, 2021, 8:41

Good to have you here, Bob. And a very Happy New Year to you and yours!